Friday, May 27, 2011

Finally!!!

Has it taken me FOREVER to post this? Yes. Am I wordy? Yes.  Am I thorough? Yes.  Regardless...enjoy! :)

So, in one of my firsts posts I mentioned that I got into pillow-making while decorating my room at home.  Well, many of you heard about the redecorating as it was going on, but never saw the finished product.  I'm  really sad I don't have "before" pictures for you, for which I deeply apologize, but really...you should just be thankful I'm FINALLY getting around to posting pictures of it at all, right?! :)

the top of my dresser
     Originally, I was trying to go for more of an eclectic countryish style, but...while the over all style of the room turned out a little different than I'd planned, the eclecticism (is that even a word?) came through the locations of my purchases! I had things from Target, Home Goods, Downtown L.A., Goodwill, Salvation Army, Craig's List, Kohl's, Sears, JCPenny, Hong Kong (I know, makes me sound "soooooo cool" when I say that I have something from Hong Kong, huh?? haha) and a few other places.  I couldn't believe it!





     The bed was one my brother and sister-in-law gave to my parents when they upgraded.  It's been a huge blessing to have when my siblings spend the night over the holidays!!  The bed posts were originally a finished natural oak coupled with the metalwork you see....I sanded the posts a little bit by hand so the paint would hold better.  I spray painted them (yes, you heard me right...spray paint) with a 2-1 paint that covered them beautifully in a matte finish.  (side note: I unscrewed the heads of the posts and stuck them into the lid of a cardboard box and sprayed them that way. :)


     My bedside table is one of my favorite pieces in the room.  I found this Ethan Allen end table on Craig's List for around $80 and talked the woman down to $55...when I bought it, it was the natural wood (which I felt horrible about painting, but...I wanted a matching set so...).  With a little sanding, a fresh coat of paint, and a new drawer pull it looked like a whole different piece!  I'll be doing another blog post on a few of the accessory pieces you see around the room so check back in later for an "accessory close-up". :)



     Ok, ok...before any of you go into shock at the number of picture frames, may I remind you that I also dabble in photography.  Ironically...many of the frames are empty (while it doesn't appear so, my photography is doing quite well lately...I just have yet to print out images and fill the frames!).  Again, the pillows on the bed are from a bunch of different places...




     The dresser is a hand-me-down that my siblings and I have shared for years!  Just before it became an addition to my room, it was white with red and white checked drawer pulls...classy, huh? :)  Well, I did the usual sanding and painting that I did on the other pieces in the room then changed out the drawer pulls to match the bedside table!  The curtains and curtain rod were from Target and Walmart respectively (the rod is a simple extendable one with an "L" bracket attachment while the curtains are a light gray with silver grommets).





     I used Martha Steward and Behr (I believe) paint from Home Depot.  Now, I know many of you are probably wondering how I used two different paint brands together and where? because the walls all look like they're the same color.  Well, first of all...a previous employer of mine had the MS color in her living room and I fell in love.  I got the information about it from here then I literally walked around the paint section holding up my paint card with MS's "Hosta" and tried to find a lighter shade that I liked (never mind that I could have just had them add white to the paint...that would have been too easy. :) ).  Well, the picture/window walls are the MS paint and the closet/dresser walls the lighter color.
Also, please notice the "W" on the wall next to the door for "Walter"...that's all, just notice its existence. pleaseandthankyou.


     Well, that's an official tour of my newly redecorated (though now, it's been nearly a year) bedroom!  It's definitely more contemporaryish, but I've fallen in love with the end product, so...I can't complain. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment