Saturday, May 28, 2011

First Hand, Second Hand...


  The time has finally come to show you some of my first and second hand finds and I'm so excited!


     My bedside table was looking a little sparse with only a lamp (Target) and a turquoise bird (Urban Home), so I set out to find some fun accessories!  My first find: air plants.  Air plants don't need dirt to grow (thus the name...) and you only need to run them under water every few days!  (I'm ALL ABOUT low maintenance. :) )  I was thrilled about them, but then realized I had no way of displaying them in my room...obviously just sitting them on my bedside table wouldn't be very attractive. I found some great glass containers and wahlah!  (I, admittedly, know little about getting the best deals on second hand items...so, all you experienced thrift store shoppers and garage salers will just have to bear with me!)  Well, here are the air plants and one succulent plant in their new "homes":


     This round vase was about $2.50 at the Salvation Army and the rocks are from my backyard!  I love the desert look...very fitting for southern California geography and climate.
     

     I found this tall jar/vase at the Goodwill for around $3.00  I filled it with white decorative rock my mom had left over in her third grade classroom.

     I found this little teal vase at a Salvation Army in downtown Pasadena for around $.25...it has little air bubbles all over it which adds great character and texture!
                         
     This next find is my absolute favorite so far!  I have always loved these insulators and recently went on a hunt for some of my own.  I found a website where they're sold...(apparently there's a whole network of people who collect them in from different countries and varied sizes and shapes!)  Some can be pretty expense, but I found this little pair for $6.00 (S&H not included).  Then I added a few decorative rocks and this piece was complete!



Combining these pieces with the turquoise bird the beside table was complete:
    

     I originally had three fake succulents in these little pots, but after a trip to downtown L.A. I replaced them with live ones for only $.89 each! (The succulent shown above was also found in L.A. for the same price.)

Their new home on the dresser...   Also - (Flowers: Urban Home;  lotus flower candle holder: Kohl's.)

     This next item is inspired by some of my best friends, Tasha and Eric, who showed me this fun project! I found this ceramic vase at The Salvation Army for about $3.00.  Once you have the container you want to use, buy a cheap candle from the Dollar Store (one with a scent you like, of course), melt it down on the stove (take the wick out once you can), and pour the hot wax into your container.  Using a chopstick laid across the top, hang the wick as straight as you can over the center of the candle, and set it aside until it hardens up again!  I already had a Bath & Bodyworks candle in my room which perfectly (and conveniently...) fit in the container without having to melt it down, but next time...next time.  It's great because you'll never have to find the right size candle to fit your container anymore and helps your space look finished.
                          



     This last item is a hand-me-down clothes hamper from Tasha.  I'm contemplating making it black, but want to avoid cheesiness/tackiness...I'll possibly use the last of the 2-1 spray paint, but not sure.




     I have much, much more to show you, but that'll have to be at another time, so...check back soon for posts on my thrift store fabric finds and recent photography adventures! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment